Photo 9th May 2021, Blackheath
Eight Diamonds 1993
each diamond: 75 x 127 cm (was 120 x 90 cm)
total size: 302 x 259 cm 3.81 sq metres (was 3.6 x 2.4 metres, was 6 square metres)
Weight: 2 kg
tail: 2 x 22 metres
Windspeed 13-15mph gusting upwards Blackheath 09/05/2021
Windspeed 10-12mph Blackheath 21/05/2023
Windspeed 7-9mph Blackheath 28/05/2023
Not quite enough wind at Scarborough but seemed viable.
Flown on Blackheath 14th July 2019, light wind but all seemed fine.
1st March 2020 attempt in stronger breeze 15mph gusting upwards failed due to broken spar.
Follow-up on 8th March 2020 was successful in similar conditions using ground anchor for bridle preparation and in flight.
End cap metal components are rusty and need to be replaced with stainless steel as at 02/08/2021.
Bow lines set 21st May 2023.
Title amended from Composite Kite (Della Porta): Eight rhomboids 1993 to Eight Diamonds 1993 on 14th June 2023.
Exhibited 'Ritter Eisen Drachen' 1996 in Hattingen, Germany
Repair to top centre bridle attachment point and other maintenance.
After the successful flight on March 8th 2020 a small repair was identified and now fixed... Saturday 4th July 2020
Preventative maintenance plugging tube ends with fibreglass inserts 16th March 2022.
Berrington Hall July 8th 2023.
First flight with the Eight Diamonds 1993 kite at about 11:00am.
Second flight with the Eight Diamonds 1993 kite at about 1:00pm.
Thanks to Marian Linford for these images.
Hampstead 2nd July 2023.
The 2nd row up right side bridle line was shortened using a dowel peg during the initial preparations for launch.
Conditions were not great with light turbulent breeze at ground level and a much stronger but variable wind higher up.
Space became free later in the afternoon and having left the kite pegged out we re-launched on a longer line and were rewarded with an extended steady flight.
A red 1997 design Rev 1.5 sail was flown as well.
The session ended with a graceful avoidance of a kite eating tree with the tails draped all over it.
Blackheath 28th May 2023.
After the preparation last Sunday the conditions looked good today and an extended flight was possible with 7-9mph at ground level.
The lower left bridle line was shortened by two half hitches on a dowel peg and another line was seen to need adjustment in today's images.
Four bow lines have been set and the curvature of the sail can be clearly seen here but the bridle lines appear to be correctly tensioned across the sail, with the one exception.
The full length of the bridle lines can almost be seen here.
The tails are 22m and the bridle lines are about 20m but both should be measured properly at some stage.
Blackheath 21st May 2023.
Following on from Cervia, given the new lightweight frame, bow lines may be sensible in light wind conditions. A flight today shows the catenary of the bridle lines and the lack of wind formed bow in the sails with the new spars.
Bow lines have now been set and it is anticipated that this will help in preventing the sail flipping if it tops out as happened today and was seen previously with the Nine Square sail.
Artevento, Cervia Wednesday 26th April 2023.
Thanks to Marian Linford for these images of the Jørgen Møller Hansen, Eight Diamonds 1993.
It did not actually fly but we did not break the new frame when the tails got snagged and brought the kite down.
Blackheath 9th May 2021, Images by Marian Linford.
Careful preparation and a long launch worked well today.
The kite was sometimes 'nailed' but occasionally a bit skittish!
Some bowing of the cross spars is evident in stronger gusts. An RSS Rev breeze.
The hand held annometer showed 13-15mph and the kite was pulling hard, just possible to hand hold for a short time. We walked the line down, disconnected the kite and a few steps forward it touched down gently, then it was turned on the ground and staked at the top edge.
Blackheath 8th March 2020
An approaching thundery shower closed proceedings!
Blackheath 1st March 2020
1st March 2020 Blackheath
There was a moment of anxiety getting it out of the bag as the elements did not fall free, seeming to be inextricably tangled. Fortunately appearances were deceptive and the 'unfolding' resolved the apparent tangle leaving the bridle lines free to the comb. In windy conditions the windward 'edge' needs to be secured at all times. I had set a ground anchor at almost right angles to the kite and the wind direction. Once the spars were set the kite was held up on its edge allowing the bridle to be combed out completely. The kite was then held flat on the ground with a 'pin' through the top centre join point while the tails were attached.
At this point I made a 'mistake' and as a result a spar was broken and no flight was possible. In lifting and turning the sail in 'high wind' the bridle needs to be secured statically, that is, to a ground anchor.
Wrapping the kite was done with the 'pin' through the top centre; removing the horizontal spars first but leaving the centre of the top one in place until the verticals were split in two and the lower sails folded over. The loose bridle lines were wound around the sails up to the comb and remaining plaited bridle lines. The kite was put in the bag followed by the plaited bridle and finally the loose spars.
Fortunately, fixing the kite was easy, slide the spars out, check the damage and slide a new spar in...
Scarborough Castle, 25th May 2019
We did not get a sustained flight on this occasion.
Page Updated July 2023 Felix Mottram